east of england buildings preservation trust

East of England Buildings Preservation Trust cover the whole of East Anglia
Illustration of Sulehay House by Chris Hawkins - EEBPT Secretary

Sulehay House, 34 Old Market, Wisbech

East of England Buildings Preservation Trust logoThis prominent property on Old Market is a fine Grade II * listed building. It is two bays and three storeys, with a basement and is constructed of a local red brick with plastered quoins and plastered plait bands surmounted by a parapet wall with two gauged brick panels. The front brickwork was at sometime tuck pointed.

The house was probably constructed in 1723. It was built as a town house and would have been used for entertaining by the wealthy Taylor family whose country house was at Leverington, to the north. The family were bailiffs and Lord Lieutenants.

There was an extensive garden to the rear. In the nineteenth century it became a doctors house and in the 1950’s an unsightly modern Kitchen was added to the rear of the side extension. Later still, let out as rooms, it started to deteriorate. The owner had hoped to restore it but the scale of the works were too great and the house stood empty for many years. Water seeped in through the central valley of the roof to the point where it was in danger of collapse. Fenland District Council took action to get urgent repairs to the property carried out and then entered into a ‘back to back agreement with the Trust who agreed to take the property on and restore it. It was finally acquired by the Trust in 1996 who undertook an extensive £300,000 restoration scheme with grant aid/loans -the most significant funding being a grant from English Heritage.