east of england buildings preservation trust

East of England Buildings Preservation Trust cover the whole of East Anglia
Illustration of The Three Blackbirds by Chris Godfrey - ex Secretary to CHBPT

East of England Buildings Preservation Trust logoThe Three Blackbirds, Broad Street, Ely

The Trust acquired the Three Blackbirds, a former Public House, in 1981 and the project was featured on local radio and TV the following year.

The centre two bays of the building were a former ‘hall house’ having an early roof with passing braces dated 1270. The rafters were smoke blackened from open fires.

Circa 1300 the building was extended 5 bays towards the river by a merchant. The original roof with carpenters marks is still in situ. An eighteenth century extension was built on fronting Broad Street when the building became a public house.

The project was completed in 1983 and a booklet on the archaeology and history of the building published.

The property has, in recent years, been opened during the National Heritage Open Days weekend in September